Monday, August 20, 2018

THE GREY LADY HAS CROSSED THE RED LINE

Asa young man and student , the N Y TIMES was a daily necessity. With maturity and political sophistication combined with age, I realized that the anti-Israel policies of the paper coupled with its left wing philosophy forced me to give up on them and turn to the WSJ as MY paper of record. Occasionally in our apartment complex, someone will throw out the Times in the garbage room, and we will take into the apartment to skim their editorials etc. When I was OU President, I led a delegation to meet with the editorial board of the Times regarding their anti-Israel policies. We documented their bias, and for a month or 2 we noticed a change. Long ago I gave up hope for a balanced approach to the Middle East. When Bret Stephens joined the paper, while I was disappointed I hoped he would bring a breath of freshness to the Times. As editor of the Jerusalem Post, I enjoyed his lived presentations both in Israel and the US. While I did not always agree with his point of view, I found his analyses to be based on a solid intellectual approach. The latest flap concerning the hiring of an out and out anti-white racist Sarah Jeong to the editorial board is a disgusting move. How Stephens can in any manner support this woman is beyond belief. Unlike Roseanne Barr who apologized for her single outburst ,Miss Jeong has a long history of such hate filled messages. Stephens attacked Barr but supported his new colleague. For me it is a double sadness- the depravity of the Times, and the turnaround of Stephens