Thursday, October 18, 2018

YARMULKES AT YESHIVA COLLEGE

If there is one consistency in my weltaanschung these past 60 years  ( since I graduated YC ) it is my devotion to TORAH UMADDAH  as a guiding force.
Thus in Sept 2005 , when the YU administration tried to change the  school emblem by deleting Torah Umadda  and  replacing it with a generic candelabra , I successfully led the battle to prevent that from happening.
My YC history now comprises many generations of graduates and students. Brothers, my wife (SC-'62)  3 children and grandchildren. My father z"l even graduated TA on the lower East side  before there was a YC  .
Thus it came as a shock to me this past week while visiting the campus to have dinner with 3 grandchildren ( 1-SC, 1-YC and 1-a smicha student) to read the excellent editorial by Benjamin Koslowe . He noted that a large number of students enrolled in campus programs  DO NOT WEAR YARMULKES  IN CLASS OR ON THE CAMPUS ENVIRONS.
To me it is not a simple question of a " dress code".YC , part of YU is an orthodox institution. The yarmulke announces publicly who you are , while showing a sign of respect for our traditions and your fellow students. Those who for cultural reasons, cannot conform should feel free to switch to Columbia or Fordham etc. The statement a kippah makes is simple-" I am an orthodox student, studying in an orthodox college and I believe in a Torah education".
In my surgical practice I wore a yarmulke.
As President ( starting in 1982- for 21 years) of then the largest pro-Israel Political Action Committee, and an AIPAC leader, I wore my kippah whether in the White House, Congress or with meetings with world leaders around the world.
"KASE ROSHCHA VEYEHE MORAH SHAMAYIM ALECHA"
Cover your head to acknowledge that there is a g-d above you.
I recall a gentile patient who looked up from the examining  table and proclaimed "I am so happy that my physician is a  G-d fearing individual"
To Sephardic or secular students we care not how you conduct yourself in the privacy of your home.In Yeshiva we should have rules-obey or leave==period
Many years ago I served on the RIETS Board and was active in the alumni Assoc.This is a perfect issue to have these groups and the student body become involved in with a petition drive.to correct this problem
There could be a transition time for new students to follow the new rules.\
Last year, my grandson Jack announced the YC basketball games. I often watched on internet. How proud I was to see clean cut young men wearing their kippot on the court.
There should never be a time when the public or alumni doubt our full commitment to our values--TORAH UMADDAH

respectfully submitted
Mendy Ganchrow M.D. (BTA-'54-YC-'58)
Dr Ganchrow was President of the OU from 1994-2000