Tuesday, May 12, 2009

a psychological game

I have been involved in pro-Israel activism since about 1980.It was in 1982 that I formed Huvpac.Shortly thererafter I became seriously involved in AIPAC, serving on the Board for many years,including while I was OU President.
I witnessed many battles,and difficult times with the Administration over policy,and throughout those times I had confidence in the professional and lay leadership of AIPAC.
The lay leaders had wisdom and maturity,as well as political savvy.We did not shirk from a battle with the Administration,pro-Arab groups or the press.(or other Jewish goups-fortunately not as many as today)
Even when things were bad I felt a confidence in the future.
Today, I am not involved at that level,and therefore know nothing of what transpires behind the scenes.However,for the first time,I feel apprehensive about our Pres. and his team and their true feeling regarding the role of Israel in the strategic outlook of our future.I also have bad vibes about the AIPAC response to the Obama pressure,and the Weissman,Rosen and and Franklin afair.
I urge everyone to read two op-eds by Caroline Glick -firstly in todays JP entitled "Obamas green light to attack Iran," and the second on Tues May 5,entitled "A cautionary tale".
We are witnessing a psychological pressure game on Netanyahu,to make it appear that without a 2-State solution within a few months the sky will fall, the next round of war will commence,and the Iranian bomb will all be Israel's fault.
NONSENSE AND HOGWASH.
THE AMERICAN LEFT WILL BLAME ISRAEL FOR EVERY ILL-PERHAPS AFTER THEY COMMIT SUICIDE,THEY WILL LAMENT THE DEATH OF SO MANY JEWS ON THEIR WATCH-PERHAPS.
In the meantime we should support the ability of Israel to come to its own conclusions re. negotiations and peace negotiations.