Wednesday, July 15, 2009

THANKS AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM

I relearned a lesson this morning.Most of us at one time or another have to buy a present for a loved one such as a child or grandchild. In this era of materialism, it is tempting to turn to the world of computers and other such modern gadgets.
Hoewver ,if you for example look at a bar or bat mizvah you might want to ask yourself,"after I am gone from the world, will this present still be around.be meaningful and have the recipient remember me"?
Tomorrow, my mother Kate celebrates with G-d's help her 98th birthday.My father of blessed memory passed away 47 years ago, 3 m0nths before I graduated Medical School.Over these years as mother to 3 sons, 11 grandchildren and 37 great grandchildren,she has been blessed that all are torah observant Jews.Truly a great zchus(merit) .

This morning I attended a Gemmorah shiur (talmud class) here in Boynton.The volume of the talmud I held in my hand for the class, was from a set that I received as a Medical School graduation gift in 1962 from my mother.
How meaningful this present has been to me, not only for the sentimental value,but it placed into perspective for me( when I graduated), that yes you are now a physician, but above all else be a good and loyal Jew.

THANKS MOM,AND THOUGH YOU CANNOT READ ANYMORE I KNOW THAT YOU REALIZE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AND MAY G-D BLESS YOU UNTIL 120.