Sunday, March 16, 2008

Obama

Elliot Ganchrow writes:

When asked by Tim Russert about Louis Farrakhan's endorsement of him, Barack Obama responded as follows:
"You know, I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments. I think that they are unacceptable and reprehensible. I did not solicit this support. He expressed pride in an African-American who seems to be bringing the country together. I obviously can't censor him, but it is not support that I sought. And we're not doing anything, I assure you, formally or informally with Minister Farrakhan."
When challenged with respect to outrageous, anti-american and anti-semitic statements made by his pastor, Jeremiah Wright, Obama issued a statement that said in part:
"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.
Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country
."
One of the worst anti-semites in this country wants to associate himself with Obama and the best Obama can come up with is that he denounces his anti-semitic statements? Can you imagine a Southern white senator addressing an endorsement by David Duke by simply saying "I have been very clear in my denunciation of Mr. Duke's racist comments"? Such a politician would rightfully be attacked as being a racist for only condemning his statements and not condemning the man himself and his followers. As for his statement on Wright, does Obama want us to believe that he just found out about Wright's views? He never heard about Wright's statements on 9/11(partly blaming Israel)? Isn't his campaign premised partly on a theme of "words count"? Even if he just heard of Wright's views, can there ever be an excuse to stay associated with a Pastor with such atrocious viewpoints? Obama's statements on these issues have been woefully insufficient. The media needs to continue to press him on these issues, especially on the question as to why he has not yet renounced his membership in Wright's church.
As a side note, kudos to the Jewish Press for its fine coverage on Obama, especially with respect to the Wright issue. They reported on the issue weeks before the mainstream media began to ask questions.