Monday, January 25, 2010

Erich Segal

I was saddened to hear of the death of a classmate of mine from elementary school Erich Segal.He was a noted author and I recall at the time of our 50th reunion from Crown Hights Yeshiva,he wrote us a note wishing us all well,but that he was in London at the time.He added a postscript that he was
married to a Jewish girl.
His most famous novel was "Love Story" and he also wrote the "Yellow Submarine".
His father was a reform Rabbi,and they lived in what to me I remember as a huge old "castle-like" home. The guys in our class had a club, that would sometimes meet in his basement.I remember him as a soft spoken gentlemen.
It is a sign of the ageing process, when classmates become seriously ill or pass away.He was 72, qnd passed away from a heart attack.