Sunday, December 18, 2011

SHELLY RUDOFF 'OBM

I WAS SADDENED TODAY TO LEARN OF THE PASSING OF SHELDON RUDOFF.My association
with him goes back about 60 plus years.
In high school we had a group(club) in the Young Israel of Eastern Parkway.Shelly was our leader.Of course we renewed our friendship when I became active in the OU.Shelly was my predecessor as OU President,and he was always dedicated to the mission of Torah in the modern world.
He was a gifted lawyer,and a scholar.I last spoke to him about 2 weeks ago regarding a chapter that he submitted to our new volume on Bar-Bat mitzvah which is now at the publisher.
May Hedda and the family be comfoted among the mourners of Zion and Yerushalayim.

Those who knew of Sholom Auslander from his youth in Monsey,and who read his first book should not be suprised with his article today in the NY Times magazine section (rear inside cover).If you don't know him, you might think that he was being cute describing hiS jewish mother.A reread, makes you realize it represents his style and anger at his upbringing.
Incidentally when I was in the Army at Fort Monmouth, I too was asked by a neighbor where our horns were?